As we continue to "enjoy" the beauty of the COLD and SNOW, Margie is enjoying hard work in sunny, lush and beautiful Costa Rica. Here are her words ... shared without a photo. I think she's just too busy to remember to get out that old camera. So I've included a couple from her favorite spot in Costa Rica.
Dearest all,
![]() |
| Tortuguero National Park, Costa Rica |
I just can't tell you how REALLY FULL and BUSY is each and every day now for me, as I've been asked to do something quite unexpected by me and quite challenging, meaningful, and fun. This new job has taken me out of regular days in the library working, but has NOT taken me away from helping one-on-one with students here working on their theses (a favorite activity for me and happening some almost every day!!). The new job which the UBL President has asked me to do is to coordinate all the mission work teams coming to UBL from the States...that is, do quite a bit of the job which missionary Becky Harrell was so capably doing here for the past four years. Becky now has a new assignment with the UMC Board of Missions in the south central jurisdiction. So, it's a very steep learning curve for me, especially because I have to do quite a bit of the organization work at the computer communicating with team leaders. However, I am needed to do a lot of translating work here on the campus, also writing letters from Spanish to English, and helping out personally, side by side with the members of the groups who come. Fortunately we also have our wonderful volunteer Rick who actually is "on deck" with the teams while they do the physical labor.
This week I'm assisting with the Primetimers group (11 UMC folks in their retirement years...lovely, interested, and interesting people) primarily here as a study and travel team. I'll be doing some translating of lectures and discussions, and since they are right here on my floor of our dorm, I'm the resident "hospitality" person and problem solver!!
I am still teaching my English class Mon and Wed. 4-5 p.m. each week, which I dearly love! I have established my "farewell" at the end of each class by telling them, "I love teaching this class because I love you!" Tha
t is true!!
Also I continue to audit the Bible class taught so wonderfully by Prof Jose Enrique---and this year I get to be in on all of those classes, 5-8:30 p.m. Tues and Fridays.
Another little blessing is to accompany visiting groups on little 1-2 day trips where I can see more of this beautiful country! In fact, I have arranged a 2-night/3 day trip for the five of us volunteers from the USA to spend a fun time at Tortuguero---My #1 favorite place in CR, and Jose Enrique has really been the "tourist agent" helping me plan this excursion, as he know Tortuguero thru and thru!!!
Yes, family, I know this is a WHOLE lot of update--and I didn't even give you ANY description of my last weekend visiting the Carvajal family WAY WAY up and away from San Jose in the mountain, coffee growing isolated little community...Carlos Carvajal is a young man who has worked as UBL receptionist for 13 years, loves to play in a heavy metal, hard-rock band, and he invited me to come and listen to his band play and meet all of his extended family who have lived in this beautiful mountain countryside for many, many years. An unforgettable experience for me!! Love to all, Margie
This week I'm assisting with the Primetimers group (11 UMC folks in their retirement years...lovely, interested, and interesting people) primarily here as a study and travel team. I'll be doing some translating of lectures and discussions, and since they are right here on my floor of our dorm, I'm the resident "hospitality" person and problem solver!!
I am still teaching my English class Mon and Wed. 4-5 p.m. each week, which I dearly love! I have established my "farewell" at the end of each class by telling them, "I love teaching this class because I love you!" Tha
t is true!!
Also I continue to audit the Bible class taught so wonderfully by Prof Jose Enrique---and this year I get to be in on all of those classes, 5-8:30 p.m. Tues and Fridays.
Another little blessing is to accompany visiting groups on little 1-2 day trips where I can see more of this beautiful country! In fact, I have arranged a 2-night/3 day trip for the five of us volunteers from the USA to spend a fun time at Tortuguero---My #1 favorite place in CR, and Jose Enrique has really been the "tourist agent" helping me plan this excursion, as he know Tortuguero thru and thru!!!
![]() |
| Beach at the park |
Hopefully after she visits the park, she will send us a few of her photos. For now, these from the internet will do.


No comments:
Post a Comment