Thursday, February 7, 2013

One of our "connecters" in Costa Rica

Margie has returned to Costa Rica and the ULB (Latin American Bible University) for three months.   Lots of relationship building and reconnecting with old friends as well as working in the library has filled her first 2 weeks.   In our wonderful world of  electronic communication, contact groups and skype, she remains very connected to us while away.  She loves hearing about what is happening around her church family. So here's a bit from her after two weeks in Costa Rica.     
 
Margie writes:
I'm doing wonderfully here--expecting a visit today from one of last year's students who has been out of town this first week---currently a thesis student, not attending classes (I think). Next today, I will be rolling "full speed ahead" with a little group of students interested in improving their English...now have their materials all run off! And in addition, beginning class of Bible Intro with Prof Jose Enrique starts this late afternoon---
Building relationships is what it's all about for me!!! You know!! Last year's roomie Lois, and her husband Al, invited me to go along to see a GREAT movie at the theatre in a nearby mall, The Impossible--about the Spanish family who suffered the world's worst tsunami ever (Dec 2004) in Thailand while they were vacationing there. If we EVER have reason to lose hope in the goodness of humankind, then THAT movie is a wonderful reminder that in the midst of horror and wrong decisions, there ARE many, many good and self-sacrificing people in our world.
 
Hopefully in her next communication she will include a photo.  This is one from the collection of Costa Rica photos that Becky Harrell (the GBGM missionary assigned there who was once one of FUMC's Covenant Missionaries).
 
After her first few days she wrote:
My first day here in Costa Rica and here at UBL has been "over the top" in warm, affectionate hugs and words of welcome. I am, indeed, happy to be here! I have worked SOME in the library today, but those HUGS and Lunch out with friends, then going to get some colones with which I then went to buy some food items...well, only a FEW hours were in the library...tomorrow I'll try to work more there, as there are plenty of books calling for my attention! Tonight I have made 3 new friends here---a new guard at the guard house named Moses, the guard, Darwin, down the street in front of the Chinese restaurant. I'm thinking that I will NOT walk down the street alone after dark very many times (That is a good thing Margie)  Really, it's quite a safe and busy street and neighborhood here where UBL is located.  The third new friend I met in the dormitory kitchen where we all share the facilities to fix our own meals...that is Enrique, a young pastor from Cuba...quite a fine young man, married, with two little children ages 8 and 4. Enrique is here at UBL for his second year and hoping to complete his degree this year by May. I will learn a lot about Cuba, the church there, the culture and society from him, I know. He likes to talk just like I do, so...I plan to have lots of questions for him and to be a good listener...which I CAN BE, believe it or not!!
 
You are welcome to make a comment.   If you have trouble, do it as "anonymous", then sign your name.  She'd love to know that you are trying to keep up with her.  

No comments:

Post a Comment