Sunday, October 2, 2016

WORLD COMMUNION SUNDAY - UBL

UBL has existed in Costa Rica since 1923.   Their mission remains the
same but how they accomplish their mission reflects the times. Today they
are preparing curriculum and computer labs to educate students throughout
Latin and South America.  
It is so appropriate to post this one on World Communion Sunday.  In Friday's note from Margie... remember this is her first full week of volunteer time at UBL.    She writes;
 
I have spend quite a few hours in our community kitchen here on the second floor of the dorm where I am living now.  Lots of relationship building and learning and conversation happens in that kitchen; (and lots of cooking too) I have made two HUGH pots of chicken soup, two HUGE bowls of potato and beet salad, two bowls of tossed vegetable salad, etc. in order to be able to share with others of my friends (many NEW) who live here on this floor.  There are now 2 men and the 7 women sharing this space.  Our Cuban pastor friend returned to his country this week---we are missing him!  These second-floor residents(students) come from Honduras, Nicaragua, Bolivia, Peru, El Salvador, and the USA. EVERY SINGLE day I learn from them and every single day I have opportunities to offer a "mother-hug" or a "mother-ear" or a friend-smile!!!
For lunches this week I have shared that hour with Olga (Colombiana living here in CR and in charge of the Women's Network for Econ. Development), Priscila (Mexican) working here at the UBL  and in charge of our communication office (Spanish), and Luisa (El Salvadoran married now to a Costa Rican gentleman David and in charge of our UBL communication office (English and Spanish). 
I now am teaching THREE English classes on Wednesdays and Fridays---one in the a.m. for our UBL staff members and two in the afternoons---a beginning class and a "not beginning" class!!!  My. English students in the afternoons come from our student body and also from our nearby neighborhood.  These classes is a way in which our UBL can extend a service (free English classes) to the wider community.
Last night we had a Bible study discussion for students here---a voluntary opportunity with pizza shared by all!  The study was ably led by Texia, a UBL student from Chile.  I love auditing a Bible class taught by my dear friend Jose Enrique...that class I attend but only as a LISTENING student for 3.5 hours on Tuesday afternoon.
 
For Margie, World Communion Day is a special day to participate in communion locally knowing that Christians throughout the world are also taking communion this day.   As United Methodists we take an offering (I think this is the 80th year of doing so).   The offering is used to provide scholarships for deserving national/international graduate students to be equipped to change the world.   Once again, thanks for your faithful support for this offering.    

Remember too... October is highlighting UBL and the new distance learning labs as our Mission Focus of the Month.  As the month goes on, we will have additional news for you about UBL and the progress they have made toward their $15,000 goal to get computers and software.  

No comments:

Post a Comment