| Margie with a group from UM McKendree College, Illinois |
In Margie style, she completely filled this past week with activities. No surprise there!! She spent the week greeting new teams, translating for a youth team from Texas while they traveled to the National Park again (someone had to do it), attending lectures, translating for the President and Vice President papers that were presented to the students and occasionally working in the library. Margie writes...
Let me tell you, it's quite easy to translate a sermon or a conversation from a guide or a busdriver to a congregation or group of travelers--I have been blessed to have BOTH of those experiences! However, this translating for professors (actually, the President and V-P of UBL who are professors) was not only a blessing but a real CHALLENGE for me. I loved it!!! I had to study and prepare for several hours in order to then know WHAT they were going to say, some of the technical vocab, and do my best at conveying THEIR thoughts and ideas.All this took place during the week of the anniversary of Lloyd's birth. A week where memories of old times met memories of not so long ago in the natural beauty of Costa Rica. Thanks for sharing this special time. We're missing you, Margie.
I am hoping that I'll have another such opportunity (to translate for the professors), but I'm thinking that this may be my one and only while here this time.Of course, on a daily basis I am able to connect people because of the two languages. Hallelujah! I am so grateful for that gift.
Also another really wonderful serendipity for me was to meet and talk with a gentleman from Guatemala who is here on the UBL campus with a group of Bible translators from the American Bible Society. This gentleman, such an modest, humble person, is really an accomplished linguist and grammarian who has written a complete grammar and dictionary for at least ONE of the Mayan languages in Guatemala; he knows four of those languages, and imagine that only 35,000 people actually speak one of these languages, for whom he as created a dictionary, grammar text, and the Bible is now translated into their language after MANY years of study and work. How wonderful! Love to all, Margie
No comments:
Post a Comment