Sunday, March 11, 2012

I can hear my Savior calling ... I'll go with him all the way.

Dr. Leland with one of the nurses at Kissy Clinic
Our closing hymn at church today may be the theme song for this blog..if it had one.  Listen to the words, hum the tune...."I can hear my Savior calling .. Take the cross and follow me" with the chorus "where He leads me I will follow ... I'll go with him, with him all the way."  I guess that's really what this blog is about ... people who hear the call and follow wherever led...all the way. 
     Dr. Michael Leland is just one of the many from 1st church who has heard the call to respond in Sierra Leone.  After the  initial shock of seeing first hand the medical facilities and the dedication of the doctors and medical staff at Kissy Clinic, he has sought ways to "follow all the way."  His January 2012 trip was to "Analyze the physical Operating Room from the prospective of what is needed to perform safe orthopedic surgery, make suggestions, and start working toward accomplishing the changes".   Working with the medical staff at Kissy, a plan of action was made. An anesthetic machine is very much needed there so he's looking for a way to find and/or fund the acquisition of this much needed piece of equipment.  Anyone up to leading a big fundraiser! 
     Another part of the trip in 2012 was to work on the guest house where visiting doctors and medical teams stay during their time there.   Tony Bertig accompanied Dr.Leland and worked to make the renovations and improvements on this facility.  The heat, humidity and air quality all compromise the ability to do surgeries so improvements in the guest house are critical.  
     Operation Doctor and Operation Classroom have given leadership over the past 20 years by working with African leadership to realize the goals they have for their own people at Kissy Clinic and the schools throughout Sierra Leone and Liberia.  In the future, I hope to bring more stories about Valparaiso 1st UMC's involvement there.   
Let's not forget the last stanza of that hymn... "He will give me grace and glory and go with me all the way."    Where is it you are being called?  


1 comment:

  1. Working with the medical staff at Kissy, a plan of action was made. An anesthetic machine is very much needed there so he's looking for a way to find and/or fund the acquisition of this much needed piece of equipment. Anyone up to leading a big fundraiser!
    cleaning buckets

    ReplyDelete